Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

One Step Closer to The Doctor[ate]



This past weekend I flew to Boston for my Graduation Ceremony at Northeastern University for my Masters in Public Administration. For the past three years, I’ve been working towards my degree part-time online, while also working full-time and pursuing my sci-fi and holistic health passions.  It was completely surreal to fly up to Boston having finally finished my degree. I actually completed undergrad in Boston and lived there three years, so a return to Boston was like going home again. There were so many familiar things that I wanted to do again, and several new things I wanted to try.


That Shiny Building is Fringe's FBI HQ
But a few things had changed since I had last been to Beantown, and the biggest one: I’m now gluten-free. (The Second biggest thing: I have discovered Fringe, which, fans know has a storyline based out of Boston. And my hotel was unbelievably close to what is known as “FBI Headquarters” in Fringe. For the record, it’s not the actual FBI building, which is  further in town, and isn’t anywhere as shiny).

Fringe Observer
This was terrifying and exciting all at once.Where would I eat?  Would I be able to eat at my favorite restaurants? Would I see an Observer? I would have to figure it all out as I went. I like to categorize this type of unknown as adventure. Much more fun that way.





Graduation


My Graduation ceremony was on the afternoon of May the 3rd, and I was more than ready. It was definitely a unique experience since I had completed my entire degree online and had never met any of my classmates or professors in person. With such a sense of anonymity, I decided to attend Whovian style. This included


1. Showing my Whovian pride and increasing my chances of meeting the 10th Doctor:



2. Not Blinking (Weeping Angel protection, and there were lots of photos being taken.)






When arrived I didn’t see anyone else wearing anything on their cap, and for a second doubted my Whovian boldness, but at the end of the ceremony, I had other Whovians track me down in the crowd filled with Masters, Doctors, Graduates and families looking to tell me they loved my cap. I’m convinced now that it was worth it. And I’m already designing my next CAPtions for any future degrees.




Newbury Comics - The Nerd Mecca of Boston 
Besides Walter’s lab of course. Actually, while scenes of the outside of Walter Bishop’s lab in Fringe is filmed on the traditional Harvard University in Cambridge, the actual building it’s supposed to be in (the Kresge Building) is on a separate campus in South Boston. Anyways, I digress. One of my favorite things about returning to Boston is the chance to visit Newbury Comics. While the original store is on Newbury street, the chain now has several locations throughout New England (but only in New England). However, if you have never been, should you see the smiling face logo, GO IN! They have everything from movies and tv shows to music (both new and used) as well as novelty items for every fandom, whether it be Dr. Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Dexter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, True Blood and so on and so forth. It is a gold mine. 

But buyer beware (caveat emptor) your money will part from with you there. And for the love of your wallet, don’t go back the next day, especially with the thought you wont buy but just one more thing... like I did... Yet if you can browse without giving in to temptation, the whole store is kind of like chicken noodle soup for the nerd. You won’t feel alone here.

Goodies I purchased


Gluten Free Feasting and Finds

My food discoveries over my graduation weekend, were very much positive. A lot of my fact checking (what’s gluten free, what’s not, and what’s such and such made out of) for my favorite restaurants were made on my phone, but I happened to stumble across some helpful knowledge and websites, as well as actually stumble into a couple of restaurants that are gluten-free friendly. Here’s some of the things I found:





Fire and Ice - This is one of my favorite restaurants and is where I held my graduation dinner. Twice. This bar and grill can be found in a few places across the states. They’ve gone gluten free friendly now, and offer gluten free pasta as well as designate all of the sauces that are gluten free. If you’re super sensitive, they will even cook your food in a separate pan in the back :)





Noodle Street - This cafe was a staple part of my life as a student at Boston University, and it’s actually located on BU’s urban campus. For two years I lived on the street behind it and was tempted by the smells. Noodle Street doesn’t have a gluten free menu, but in my determination to eat here I found this website on gluten free Asian noodles, and then researched everything else on the menu via smartphone (universe bless technology). Gluten-free nerds, please remember to steer clear of soy sauce!



Naked Pizza - This is probably the coolest pizza place I’ve ever found by just walking in. Their ingredients are all natural and they even offer gluten-free pizza with all natural ingredients. Just be aware that gluten free pizza at this chain only comes in one size, so plan to share or take home leftovers. Yum!




Sweet - My accidental find of this small sweeterie almost brings tears to my eyes. One of my friends took a quick dive into here while we were walking downtown and at first thought, I just knew I would only be able to look at the cupcakes and never eat them. But then I spotted the gourmet gluten free cupcakes, and the gluten-free candy. The gf cupcakes must be bought in pairs (but it’s totally worth it) and the candy is a little pricey, but delicious. I wish they had a SWEET in Houston...




Panera - I haven’t eaten at Panera since I went gluten free. Why? Well the majority of the things on the menu include bread. However at 8 am in the morning, I hadn’t a clue where I could score a gluten free menu, so I searched the web for a gluten free Panera menu and found this website. And while many of the gluten free items are lunch or dinner items, Panera will actually sell you salads for breakfast. I tested this. Twice.



Jason’s Deli - There actually isn’t a Jason’s Deli in Boston, but when I travel, this chain is usually my fall back because they have a pretty extensive gluten free menu,  you can dine in, order take out, or have your meal delivered. And everything is rather reasonably priced. I think that it deserves honorable mention.



The Perfect Souvenir

I will admit that when I travel, I do like to pick up souvenirs, particularly if their sci-fi related in any way, regardless of whether the item is for myself or others. This trip I found something that I’ve been looking for for a long time. My childhood best friend and I watched the entire reimagined Battlestar Galactica series together just a little over a year ago, and since the moment she saw them she has been obsessed with Admiral Adama’s stemless, double-walled glasses. Specifically this kind:









Well, I’ve been casually looking for them ever since, and I just so happened to find some when I was finishing my lemon 
cupcake from Sweet Cupcakes. I found them in a store known as David’s tea, in which I also bought organic spearmint loose leaf tea, in a TARDIS-esque looking container (imagination is a powerful tool):  



Needless to say, I purchased the glasses on her behalf, and gave them to her when she picked me up at the airport. She’s always doing that: shuttling me to the airport and I love her for it.

Anyways, David Tennant: Awesome. DavidsTea: Awesome. And not just because they sell glasses that look like Adama's. They also sell loose leaf tea online here.

And that’s where I’ll end my reminescence of Boston. I didn’t see any Observers this time. But I’ll return again, with my eyes open for both Dr. Who and Dr. Walter Bishop.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info on Fire & Ice! Love that you found great places to eat while staying gluten-free. Congratulations on a great trip, your graduation, and a very fun blog post!

    ReplyDelete