Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Welcome!



Hi there!

Welcome to Holistic Health Nerd, where Health, Happiness and Nerdom unite! 

So what’s going on here? How does this work? 

As a nerd, I have always valued my brain and what I put in it (high-quality sci-fi material of course!). In a nutshell: I love my brain; and I want it to last forever while functioning at warp speed. A couple of years ago, I discovered the world of holistic health. And even while playing Scully to most holistic health Mulders, I was won-over by some of several holistic principles, theories and beliefs. I have also discovered that if you put some of this stuff together, something amazing happens: an increase and happiness and well-being. And Chief, you have no idea what that really means until you experience it for yourself. Like Batman? Who doesn’t? Want to FEEL as great as Batman? Now we’re talking.

Why Holistic Health and Sci-Fi Nerdom? 

Let’s just say I’m a fan of both worlds, and almost everything I’m obsessed with falls into one of these two categories. And while many people normally wouldn’t associate these traditionally separate realms, I can’t help but interpret and associate life and holistic health principles into sci-fi concepts with my nerd brain. For example, take the two pictures below. Most people look at life like this:




But like Dr. Ian Malcom suggests in Jurassic Park “Life finds a way...”. I interpret this more  as: “Life finds a way to make things much more complicated.” Such as transforming visiting a theme park into visiting a theme park while running for your life from dinosaurs. Smart ones.  And consequently, I view life in a more entropic and wibbly wobbly timey-wimey perspective as is suggested by the Doctor Who timeline:





And of course, as a nerd (a Whovian in particular), this makes complete sense, maybe even more sense than the first timeline. In a way, I think it’s more real. I’m pretty sure, to me, at least, my life seems more like a Doctor Who episode than what theoretically happens...

I have the same outlook on health. Most people would probably say that health comes from working out, and eating right, and well, that’s it. They would also argue probably a simple theoretical formula: start off healthy, eat well, work out to train or keep off weight = BAM! Great Health! They would also probably say great health and mental well being can be explained by boiling down things to this: Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs (not to knock Maslow, he’s awesome)




However, in my opinion there’s a couple of kinks in all this normal timeline business, and the generally accepted outlook... What if you didn’t start off healthy?  What if what society has determined as healthy and nutritious, well, really isn’t? Where’s the mental, spiritual, or awareness of self aspects of things? And what, exactly does Maslow’s hierarchy look like on the ground level? For analyzing someone else Maslow’s got it dead on. But when I’m looking at my own life, what does it all mean?

From my experience, holistic health on the ground level, looks a little more like this:





Where overall and holistic health both results from and has impact on  ALL of  its components. This concept also happens to cause a completely reinforcing cycle which can be shown in the really cool diagram above that my nerd brain translates into this:







Or, if you’re not so familiar with the Winchester brothers.  Maybe this:




***Disclaimer: Although holistic health is a powerful force, there is no direct proof that it can protect one from demonic possessions or cylons.***

So what’s in it for me?

Well Maslow got it right when he said that man is a social animal. 



And this is can be seen directly in nerd behavior and obsessions with cons.






However, I have yet to find a subset of nerds that are as obsessed with and enthusiastic about holistic health as I am, which is not to say they don’t exist, just that we haven’t declared ourselves yet.  So like Klaus from TVD (except without the vampire status, but as an original none the less), in the absence of a “perfect” family, I hope to create my own hybrids who care about their holistic health just as much as they obsess over all things in their respective nerd realms. Look what nerds have done around the world to show their love and fandom. Now imagine what they could do for themselves, and the universe if they could unite in taking an interest in themselves, both in mind and body. And they’d also get to feel like Batman. All the time.

So happy reading, nerd on, and may the force of holistic health be with you!

Allons-y!

Sama




No comments:

Post a Comment