Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Light Meat or Dark Meat? What’s a LOST GIRL to do?: Metabolic Typing and the Fae



Lost Girl is a Canadian sci-fi TV show that occurs within the world of the Fae (or fairy-folk). The heroine, Bo, is introduced to the world of Fae when finds out she isn’t human, but is actually a succubus. The world of Fae that she discovers she’s a part of is made of two courts: the Light and the Dark.

The Light Fae are more like the goody-two-shoes type who respect the lives of humans and follow certain “accepted” rules. The Dark Fae, on the other hand, have no rules, and don’t have any particular respect for human lives. They blatantly disregard the Light Fae's rules.

If you haven’t seen it yet, Lost Girl has a great mythology of its own, fully-developed characters and awesome sidekicks (my favorite character is Kenzi who is portrayed as Ksenia Solo who has a tendency to tweet incredibly inspiring tweets, constantly. You can follow her here). The show is just finishing it’s third season, and has two seasons available on Netflix Streaming. 

Metabolic Typing

Metabolic Typing is founded on the principle that everyone’s metabolism is unique and based on individual heredity and genetic makeup. According to William Linz Wolcott in his work The Metabolic Typing Diet, The general population usually falls into one of three metabolic groups: Protein Types, Carb Types and Mixed Types, with each type having a recommended percentage of proteins, carbs and fats. According to Metabolic Typing, by identifying which type you are, the more you can tailor your own diet towards your metabolism and at the same time:

*Achieve and maintain your ideal weight
*Eliminate sugar cravings
*Conquer indigestion, fatigue and allergies
*Bolster your immune system
*Overcome anxiety, depression and mood swings


And my opinion on Metabolic Typing? Do I think it works? YES. Why? Because my personal experience with Metabolic Typing has been nothing short of a success, and everyone I've met who's tried Metabolic Typing has also been successful. Metabolic Typing is what got me started on the path to both where I am today both in terms of my diet and in terms of my weight. Before I tried Metabolic Typing, I was a size 12-14, now I’m more of a size 8. But that’s not even the best part. The best part is that in general, I feel better all the time. I have more energy. I don’t crave sweets that are bad for me, such as candy, cookies or cakes. If I’m craving sweets, it’s usually fruit, if I’m craving sweets all. Sweet, huh?

So what’s Lost Girl got to do with Metabolic Typing? 


Well, let me tell you. The similarities between the dichotomies found in both Metabolic Typing and Lost Girl are quite extraordinary, and, well, fun. 

Bo, the Neutral Succubus


In Metabolic Typing, you either fall into the category of Carb Type or Protein Type. Not either one of these, then you’re a Mixed type.

In Lost Girl, you either fall into the category of Light Fae or Dark Fae. Not either one of these, you’re human. Or you’re Bo the Succubus, who refuses to pick a side.

The laws of Metabolic Typing categorize the “ideal” foods for Carb Types as those that are generally accepted to be good for you: light meats (chicken, turkey, light fish), low fats, lots of vegetables and an adequate amount of grains. Protein Types on the other hand have recommended foods that completely ignore or go against generally accepted norms of whats good for you: dark meat, full fats, and starchy vegetables. If you don’t fall into either of these, you’re a Mixed type, with a suggested diet of food from both categories.


In Lost Girl, as I mentioned above, Light Fae follow the rules. Dark Fae, well, they blatantly ignore the rules at whim.

So in a nutshell: Light Fae = Carb Type
                         Dark Fae = Protein Type 
                          Human = Mixed Type (or Bo the Succubus)

And here’s my next question... Where does YOUR allegiance lie? Are you Light Fae (Carb Type?) or Dark Fae (Protein Type). In Lost Girl, the Fae get to choose which side to swear fealty to. However in real life, your heredity kind of chooses for you.  A sort of “preview” if you will of what determines where your fealty is can be seen in the following chart:





If Column A describes you the most, you’re most likely a Carb Type Light Fae, and this is your recommended food list:



If Column B answers are a little bit more your speed, then you’re probably a Protein Type Dark Fae, and this is your recommended Food list:



If you’re best described by both columns and bit of both, you’re a Mixed Type Human. Your suggested "ideal" diet is mixed between both recommended food lists.

BUT READER BEWARE this chart is just the tip of the ice berg. The questions included in this chart are just ten questions out of the original Wolcott questionnaire which has over 60 questions. This is not a comprehensive assessment! If you’d like to know more you can purchase Wolcott’s book here. If you think for the briefest of seconds that Metabolic Typing might help you improve your life like it did mine, it’s worth the buy.

But that’s not the only place where you can get a real questionnaire.  Paul Chek (a hero of men) also has a 14 question questionnaire in his book Eat, Move and Be Healthy, which can be purchased here. And if you’re only going to buy one fitness/health book in your entire lifetime, this is the one to buy. 

Chek also has the questionnaire available here for free (scroll down on the left for the link, although this site does require setting up a username and password.) For this questionnaire, Chek has also developed new names for the types such as Equator Type (Carb Type),  Polar Type (Protein Type), and Variable Type  (Mixed Type), but everything else is the same. But more on Chek at a later date... but boy is he interesting....


And the FINAL QUESTION... What type of Fae am I?

Well, before my creative connections and lateral jump from Metabolic Typing to Types of Fae, I would have told you that no matter how bad ass I would want to be, I’d probably be a Light Fae. However, as my hereditary background would have it, I’m Dark Fae all the way baby! And I LOVE it! Bring on the red meat and the full fat dairy! I got lucky this time around, because I got to lose weight and shrink sizes eating all the good stuff. Yum!

So that about wraps it up for Metabolism and Fae, but if you have any questions, or would like to know more, feel free ask.  I’d be more than happy to point you in the right direction, although I can’t promise I won’t be as mischievous as any of the Dark Fae.


***The Recommended food lists for this post were taken from Paul Chek's Eat, Move and Be Healthy.***









No comments:

Post a Comment